Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ten Book

wolfgang69 7/21/2006 10:34 PM
Don, many years ago I purchased the book Ten. It was loaded with some good stuff. I really thought your section on slash chords was excellent. Any chance of you doing a master class book on this topic? Thanks

Don Mock 9/16/2006 1:05 AM
Thanks Wolfgang. Back in the '80's I wrote and taught the Jazz/Fusion class at GIT and during those times, slash chords were a everyday thing. It seemed like every fusion tune was loaded with "this over that" chords. So I did a lot of research and practice on both polychords and slash (triad over bass note) chords. The chapter in TEN was an analyze of the 12 possible major triads with various bass notes. And to this day I apply that theory to the chords when I encounter them. I would love to do a book on the subject but not sure that those type of chords are as popular today in pop and jazz as they were 20 years ago. In a somewhat related subject, we are just finishing up a new modal play-along and instructional series for Alfred Publishing (former Warner). It's called "Modal Mojo" and the instructional book/CD has a lot of info on modal comping and soloing which includes lots of slash chords. And the play-along CD's are recorded live by our trio (bass, drums and guitar) and came out great. Hope you check it out. -Don Mock

No comments:

Post a Comment