Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chromatics

bluesyourdaddy 2/15/2005 9:32 PM
Don, I have all of your Secrets Revealed books and two of your videos. I have been applying what I have learned and have been very happy with the improvement of my ideas when improvising. My question is about adding chromatics. Do you have tips about any methods to adding chromatic ideas? I know it is obvious that you can basically add notes in between the scales and arps. But when you show examples that skip around I wonder how you come up with those chromatic ideas that come from all directions. Thanks, Brian

Don Mock 2/16/2005 10:14 PM
Great to hear from you Brian. I hate to push my books sometimes, but I think my new "Masterclass Series - Target Tones" is probably what you are looking for. It is a concept for using chromatics through the use of small four-note "target melodies" that lead to chord and scale tones. I think you will get a clearer view of how chromatics work in improvising. Getting chromatics in your playing is not about using the chromatic scale, but more how the "wrong" notes can work to enhance the "right" ones.-Don Mock

No comments:

Post a Comment