Thursday, August 27, 2009

Major Scale Secrets Revealed?

bluesyourdaddy 6/19/2005 12:11 PM
Don, After having gone through your three "Secrets" books I was wondering why you never did one on Major Scales. If you did, and combined them all with your "Target Tone Master Class", it would be a complete guide to improvising. Any thoughts of doing a complete improv course like that? (BTW, Using your "Rock to Jazz" video and the two "Frank Gambale Technique" books I was able to put it all together) Thanks, Brian

Don Mock 6/29/2005 3:23 PM
Brian, I had planned out a Major Scale book to go along with the series, but I guess we did not think it would sell as well as melodic, harmonic and symmetrics scales. No plan at this point but it is a good idea because 90% of everything we play is rooted in the major scale. Many players overlook the major scale and it's modes thinking that it's too "straight or inside" sounding. But some of the best melodies and lines are from major scales. My students are always surprised when I tell them that most of my intervallic and "outside" sounding lines are really just major scales. -Don Mock

1 comment:

  1. My old CDs skip on my newer players. Options?

    Also can't we just apply some of the same principals and runs using the major scale as the other scales, at least wher applicable?

    ReplyDelete